Friday, June 12, 2009

Catching Up After E3

Well, it has been almost a fortnight since my last post. My apologies for that. My reasoning is, of course, the week of E3. Whilst I didn't attend (that would be the day), I couldn't resist reading anything and everything to do with the show. I stayed up to watch the three press conferences, viewed countless trailers and read all the hands-on previews I could to ensure that I was aware of everything that came from the show. It is something I do every year and 2009 was not going to be any different, however I wonder if perhaps I focused on it too much because I fell behind on the things I'd usually do such as reading blogs and, of course, writing on this one.

Enter this current week which is basically over. I spent the majority of it trying to catch up after E3 and that is why I've been quiet. I am still not entirely caught up with everything, but what is left will have to wait while I get back into my routine. Expect some incoming posts on the games I have been playing recently including Dead Space, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Gran Turismo 5: Prologue. I also have the final post in my series about Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on the way and I may do an in-depth post on Just Cause if I feel like it warrants it.

Returning to E3, what an awesome return to form for the show that was! I'm not one to try and decide which company 'won' the show because that would be selling myself short. So instead allow me to cheat and claim that all three 'won', because I certainly felt that way after seeing what they had to offer. For years now I have been wanting to see three games in particular: Alan Wake, Heavy Rain and Team ICO's next game -- now known as The Last Guardian -- and this year delivered. Admittedly it wasn't in the way I was expecting, with both Heavy Rain and The Last Guardian being shown (leaked or otherwise) prior to the show, but even so it was great to finally see them. Beyond those titles, I was keen on seeing more of games like Assassin's Creed 2, Mass Effect 2, and of course BioShock 2 and I was also pleasantly surprised to see unexpected announcements as well. Crackdown 2, Forza 3, Golden Sun 3, Metroid: Other M and Gran Turismo PSP were all surprises, as were Microsoft and Sony's motion control reveals, both of which show a lot of potential.

Another game that I was not expecting but I'm happy to see is the spiritual successor, of sorts, to LittleBigPlanet: ModNation Racers. This little game was revealed during Sony's conference and is basically the racing genre's version of Media Molecule's awesome platformer. That alone piques my interest but seeing a race track created in quite extensive detail within a five minute presentation was amazing and I really can't wait to see more of that game in the future. Too bad it seemed to fly under the radar while the bigger titles hogged the spotlight.

Anyway, another E3 is done and dusted and once again I have a bucketload of titles that I am interested in, with the games mentioned above only just a few of them. Thankfully a lot of them seem to be 2010 titles, which hopefully means I won't be as overwhelmed as I was last year. I'm still recovering from that, some 8 months later. With that look into the future done for another year, it's now time to return to the present and enjoy the games I have now. Regular programming will resume with the next post. :)

No comments: