Monday, February 2, 2009

Geometric War, Again


Ah Geometry Wars. It doesn't matter whether it is the first or the second game, all I have been playing in the past few days is the series that still remains my most played on the Xbox 360.

Sometimes I will spontaneously fire up either game for a few quick sessions here or there, usually when I am unable to decide what game to play but this time it is different. This time, my addiction has returned and to be honest I would not have it any other way. I am not sure what triggered the desire to play these games so much again nor do I really care, just playing them has been entertaining and exactly what I have needed after focusing so hard on trying to manage so many games at once and failing.

I am, in a word, rusty at the game. It has been a few months since I last played Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 and the lack of play has definitely seen my skills go and hide on me. That is okay though because it has sparked a desire to reach my peak with the game again, a nice simple challenge that I can commit to while also slowly finishing the other games that have been on rotation recently. High scores factor into this of course, with personal goals to beat both my original scores and the two people who have now overtaken those. Working on the scores of these friends will see a reasonable increase for my scores but for me, that is not good enough. In the original game for example, I have a score in the early two million range. I aim to have a new score of six million (or higher) in the game and because I am confident I can do it, I won't stop playing until that score is mine. The sequel's scores are a bit different due to it having six different modes so I am uncertain about what the goal for the game should be, but I will figure it out as I continue to play and reach my overall skill level again.

So in a nutshell, the Geometry Wars series has overtaken my gaming habits for the foreseeable future and it shall be interesting to see how long this current addiction will last. Chewing my food has turned into having a second helping of something I have enjoyed before. Nothing wrong with that though right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well... the addiction disn't seem to last too long, did it? ;)

I'd love to find time to play more Geommie Wars; that I haven't got more Achievements in the original 360 outing is a particularly sore point with me. It's one of those games that I want to be good at, but seem to come up short on - along with every other twin-stick shooter.

Unknown said...

Oh the addiction is still around, I just had to ignore it in favour of getting Call of Duty 4 finished. I still have desires to best those scores and will not stop playing until I have done so.